Monday, February 9, 2009

Quick and Easy

Again in my attempt to avoid reading for Partnership Taxation, I've decided to post one of my most favorite recipes ever. My mom used to make this for me when I was younger and I never realized how easy it was until tonight. Exhausted after a full day of class and then a 1 hour and 20 minute spinning and yoga class, I decided to make dinner for my bf as promised. He wanted stir fry and I wanted to get in and out of the supermarket so I decided to attempt to make Green Pepper Steak. I knew that my mom used the recipe from her Quick and Thrifty Cooking cookbook so I adapted that to my more modern tastes. Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
1/2 to 1 lb of stir fry beef (most supermarkets have this in the prepackaged section, it's already sliced so all you have to do is put it in the pan)
2 green bell peppers sliced
1 onion chopped
1 package of mushrooms sliced
4 cloves of garlic finely minced
6 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons pepper
4 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon teriyaki sauce
1 tablespoon worchestershire sauce
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
1/4 to 1/2 cup white wine (or red wine)
Instant Rice (enough for 4 servings)

Directions:
Heat a large wok (or a large skillet) over med. high heat. Toss the beef in 3 tablespoons of the cornstarch. Add oil to the wok and then add the beef. While the beef cooks combine the rest of the cornstarch, the wine, the soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, worchestershire sauce, pepper and red pepper flakes. Mix very well and set aside.

Once the beef has browned add the vegetables to the skillet starting with the garlic. Once the onions are garlic have softened add the wine mixture. Reduce heat to medium and allow the sauce to thicken, stirring constantly.

Prepare the rice according to package directions. Serve the beef over the rice and enjoy!

Happy Monday!

No comments: