Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Missing fast food

Given today is Ash Wednesday, thus the beginning of Lent and I have decided to give up fast food for Lent, I thought I'd post some of my favorite lunches that are quick, easy and delicious. Now don't get me wrong, sometimes I just need Wendy's for lunch but for the next 40 days I'm not going to give into that craving and am going to have to get very creative with my lunch choices.. Here's one of my favorites:

Hearty Greek Style Salad:
1 bag mixed greens (the prewashed kind)
2-3 carrots chopped
1 red onion chopped
1 small can sliced black olives drained
1 bell pepper chopped
1 can of chickpeas drained and rinsed
Crumbled feta cheese
Dressing:
4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon dijon mustard (optional)
1 teaspoon salt
1.5 teaspoons oregano
2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup olive oil

In a large bowl add the lettuce, vegetables, chickpeas and cheese. In another bowl, mix the vinegar, mustard, salt, oregano and pepper. Slowly whisk in the olive oil. Add the dressing to the salad and toss. (Or go ahead and pack your salad and put the dressing in another plastic container and add to the salad when you want to eat it)

Enjoy!

No comments: