Thursday, February 5, 2009

Because I love leftovers!

I know that a lot of my recent posts have involved black beans, mostly because I've been in kind of a Southwestern food kick. Well I found a great way to use up the bean dip in my last post. Its kind of like a Mexican pizza and I was very happy with how it came out, the recipe follows:

Ingredients:
Leftover Black Bean Dip (see my post from 02/02)
1 can of white beans drained
1 can of corn
2 servings of brown rice
Flour tortillas (allow 1-2 per person)
Salsa
Shredded cheese
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
1 Avocado or Guacamole

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350. Begin to heat the leftover black bean dip. Add the corn and beans. Allow to cook so that the white beans begin to break down. Taste and adjust seasonings adding some additional chili powder, cumin, and granulated garlic.

Once the beans have began to break down mash them lightly with a potato masher. Allow to cook some more while preparing the rice. Prepare the rice (enough for 2 servings) according to pacakage directions.

Brush olive oil on both sides of the tortillas. Place on a cookie sheet and bake until the tortillas are crispy, turning once. (Keep an eye on these because they bake really fast).

Once the rice has finished cooking and the beans are nice and hot, place one of the tortillas on a plate and begin assembling the pizzas. First place some rice on the tortilla. Top this with the bean mixture. Add some cheese. Add the salsa and avocado or guacamole.

If desired top with some sour cream, black olives and chopped onions.

Enjoy!

No comments: