Monday, June 22, 2009

A great start to the day

I admit that I'm not much of a breakfast person unless I'm eating it at 11:30 on a Saturday. However, I do enjoy breakfast food, I just don't enjoy getting up in enough time to eat. I'm every excited to have come up with a really fun take on the healthy classic oatmeal (and no this does not involve the instant stuff that comes in a package already seasoned). I call this oatmeal cookie oatmeal and its great. I served mine with a fried egg on top because I love the savory sweet combination.

Oatmeal Cookie Oatmeal
Enough oatmeal for one serving (or more if you make it for more than one)
Skim Milk
Pinch of Salt
1/4 cup dried fruit (I used dried cherries)
2 teaspoons all fruit spread (more on this new staple later)
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon maple syrup

In a small saucepan prepare the oatmeal according to package directions, substituting skim milk for the water. Bring this to a boil at a lower heat than the package directions provide for so that the milk does not burn. Add 1 teaspoon of the brown sugar at this point.

Once you've added the oatmeal and its nearly finished (according to the package) add the all fruit spread, the dried fruit, and the maple syrup. Stir very well so that the all fruit spread melts and flavors the oatmeal.

Place in a bowl and top with the remaining brown sugar. Top with a fried egg if you want something salty to accompany your sweet oatmeal.

Enjoy!

On a side note, all fruit spread is absolutely amazing! The bf's aunt and uncle left a pretty stocked fridge for us and insisted that we eat everything in it (the apt is for sale and they don't want to move things like food). Anyway, they had a jar of all fruit spread in the fridge and it's definitely a gem! Unlike regular jam and jelly this product has 40 calories per serving and no fat! It's also not too sweet so you can use it on and in everything. It's great alone on toast or used to add a bit of sweetness to an Asian style sauce. I'm totally obsessed!

Another side note related to my previous post about shopgoodwill.com - I just won a Jack Rogers lot that includes the pink and green Jack Rogers sandals, plus an Ann Taylor shirt, a pink cuff watch and two purses, all new with tags. Which is awesome because my winning bid was $23.50 which I would have paid for the sandals alone since they are about $100 per pair retail, and I go the sandals plus several other items that I'm sure will make great gifts for friends or even better a great giveaway!

Also, has anyone checked out the j.crew final sale? I'm going this weekend because I've still got quite a bit left on my giftcard. Hopefully I'll be able to get several items for what I would have paid regular price for one.

5 comments:

rachaelgking said...

I've never tried all fruit spread, but it sounds like it could change my breakfast forever... :-)

AmyT said...

sounds yummy!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm not much of a breakfast person, either. You lucky bum you found such great deals! :)

Angela said...

this oatmeal sounds great. i try to eat breakfast regularly.

BLC :o said...

Mmmm! Oatmeal cookies ARE healthy, right!? Xoxo-BLC