Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Crappy weather = cozy food

Another lovely winter day here in Chicago, but the snow is really pretty -- the kind with the giant snowflakes. I've been a little absent lately mostly because the power cord on my laptop decided to crap out so I have to hold it in so that my battery will charge enough for me to use my computer.

Tonight's dinner all came from my most recent trip to Aldi, Winking Owl wine included (a steal at $2.99). I'm not sure what to call this meal, it's kind of a mix between coq au vin and chicken cacciatore and super easy and cheap to make (but doesn't look it of course). Anyway my special oven braised chicken recipe follows. I used chicken thighs for this dish because it doesn't try out like boneless skinless chicken breasts do, plus it was cheaper.

Katie's Oven Braised Chicken
1 package bone in chicken thighs
3 slices bacon chopped
2 carrots chopped
1 stalk celery chopped
1 clove garlic minced
1 onion minced
frozen peas
1 can tomato paste
2 cups red wine
1 cup tonic water
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons each: granulated garlic, Emeril's essence, basil, pepper
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 cup flour
1 tablespoon each: pepper, essence, granulated garlic, steak seasoning
Preheat oven to 325. In a large brassier or dutch oven heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over med. heat on the stove top. Add the bacon. While the bacon cooks mix the 1/2 cup flour and the 1 tablespoon pepper, essence, granulated garlic and steak seasoning. Dredge the chicken in the flour mixture. Add to the brassier. Brown on each side then remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
Add 1 tablespoon flour to the brassier. Stir well then add the carrots, onions, garlic and celery. Add the tomato paste. Mix well. Add the wine to deglaze the pan. Now add the tonic water and the water. Add some more water if the sauce is thick. Return the chicken to the pan.
Cover the brassier and put in the oven. Bake for 1 hour. Remove and turn the chicken. Bake for another hour. Again, remove and turn the chicken and bake for a 3rd hour. Add some frozen peas just prior to serving.
Top with green onions if you'd like and serve with mashed potatoes or buttered noodles.
Enjoy!

3 comments:

Children of the 90s said...

This sounds great. I miss Aldi and its off-brands. I used to shop there all the time back in Minnesota.

Freck said...

This sounds yummy :) I'm ready for no more snow!!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I always want comfort food when it's nasty out!