Friday, October 30, 2009

$5 Friday (extremely late)

Again, I have been a very VERY bad blogger. I am so sorry for being absolutely MIA this week and failing to post a $5 Friday last week. I did prepare a $5 meal but got a little sidetracked as my mom came into town this week :-)! Which meant that I spent Friday and Saturday night cleaning (my mom is the cleanest person I know so I always clean like a maniac when anticipating her arrival). Anyway, because Mom flew in on Sunday and stayed until Wednesday I was unable to post during that part of the week because I wanted to spend as much time as possible with her.

On top of the very exciting Mom visit, I also started a new part time retail job. While I love the legal work I am currently doing at a public interest firm, it doesn't pay me anything (well except for good experience) so I've had to take a part time job until I find something full time (fingers crossed -- I've got an interview on Monday).

As you can tell it has been a very very busy week so I hope y'all will forgive my terrible blogging. That said, here is the much anticipated (hopefully) $5 Friday from last week. I bought the ingredients at my local supermarket (Jewel) and it cost a whopping $10.12 so I did go a little over budget. Amy T suggested a Mexican theme and CTB wanted something with meat so I did both and made Tex Mex bowls with flour tortillas. I'll update this post with pics tomorrow sometime.

Tex-Mex Fajita Bowls
1 small can salsa ($.99 in the Mexican foods isle)
1 bag frozen chopped onions ($1.29 in freezer section)
1 bag frozen chopped green peppers ($1.59 I think in freezer section)
1 package beef for pan frying already sliced ($1.92 in meat section)
1 package flour tortillas ($1.59 I think in Mexican foods isle)
1 can black beans ($.89 in canned food section)
1-2 cups brown rice (depends on how much rice you like, $1.39 bag, which makes a whole lot more)
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon of the following: oregano, chili powder, granulated garlic, cumin, salt, pepper (freebies)
1 tablespoon olive oil + 1 tablespoon olive oil (freebies)
1 tablespoon butter (freebies)
Drain and rinse the beans. In a large dutch oven or sauce pan, heat up the olive oil over med. heat. Add the beans and if you'd like some fresh garlic if you have it. Allow the beans to cook for a bit then add the rice and the butter. Allow the rice to brown a bit and then add the liquid according to package directions (you can use water or if you've got some on hand beef or chicken stock.) Add 1 teaspoon of the salt, pepper, oregano, cumin, chili powder and granulated garlic. Allow to cook following package directions as you prepare the steak mixture.
While the beans and rice cook, in a large skillet, heat up the remaining olive oil over med. to med. high heat. Add the frozen onions and peppers. Stir well. Add the salsa. Allow to cook for a bit. Meanwhile slice the beef into smaller pieces so that they kind of mimic the onions and peppers. Add the 1 tablespoon of the oregano, chili powder, granulated garlic, cumin, salt and pepper. There will be some liquid in the pan. At this point the rice should be almost finished. Add the rice to the steak mixture. Microwave the tortillas for around 30 seconds until they are warm and soft.
Serve with the tortillas and if you'd like sour cream, cheese and other Tex Mex toppings.
Happy Friday!

2 comments:

Beth Dunn said...

They sound amazing! I love mexican food. Thank you for your sweet comment. Have a great weekend! xoxo

SC

CTB said...

I think you are very justified in your blogging absence. I hope you had such a great time with your Mom. Can't wait to try this recipe. My husband is still talking about the last soup recipe.